We had the BEST time on our vacation last weekend to NYC and the NorthEast.
John and I love going this time of year for the annual New York City Wine and Food Festival. We're fortunate to have access to tickets to lots of events, restaurants and hotels through various connections, so we go live like kings for the weekend.
We flew up on Thursday night; this was Will's second flight (the first was a year ago, when he was just two months old), it was during his bedtime, and he was pretty fussy. BUT we lucked out and had the entire back row to ourselves- I'm talkin' six seats across! Plenty of snacks, the iPad and some books and toys kept him occupied.
Friday was our city day to show Will off to the 'Will Suit Fan Club,' as my dad dubs it. It began with a stop at my dad's office, where Will walked around conducting his meet and greet for an hour or so. We then headed to Magnolia Bakery at Grand Central Station to meet the team who made his surprise birthday photo cupcakes (they gave him a cup full of sprinkles!!). Next was taking the subway to lunch at Farmer and the Fish in Union Square and a stroll through the park. We hoofed it back up to Grand Central.
We had driven in that morning so John and I could take the car while my dad and Will took the train back to Connecticut. John and I were headed to Sleepy Hollow, NY to do the Horseman's Hollow, a haunted house set in the town where Washington Irving, author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, lived and based his famous tale. Remember, this was also Friday the 13th oooooaaaahhhhhh!
After sitting in traffic for a couple hours, we arrived and headed into town to grab a bite and watch the first half of the Clemson game. (We lost, boo). The Horseman's Hollow was fun but nothing I feel compelled to rush back for. The coolest part about that area is the historic graveyard and old church where Irving's story takes place, complete with wooden bridge and all. Irvin's residence, Sunnyside, is awesome too, especially if you've been to Sleepy Hollow Refreshments in MK ;)
I'll be back with a recap of our NYCWFF events.
Thanks for reading!
Friday, October 20, 2017
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
My baby boy is 1! This day seemed like it would never get here when he was just a newborn. I remember reading about things babies did, or hearing stories from my mom friends, about their kids being 1, and thinking how that seemed so...far...away.
Happy to say we all survived and dare I say thrived during Will's first trip around the sun.
This past month, Will has:
- had a cake smash photo shoot at the Magic Kingdom
- attended another workout with Mommy at Disney Springs
- celebrated Christmas in July at Disney Springs
- rode Universe of Energy one last time at Epcot with friends
- had a Magic Kingdom playdate
- accompanied Mommy to a yoga class at Lilly Pulitzer in Disney Springs
- visited the Orlando Science Center and LOVED it
- rode The Great Movie Ride four times before it closed
- met Mr. Richard at the Grand Floridian
- celebrated his first birthday with a small party with his grandfathers, daddy, and mommy/baby workout friends
- celebrated his first birthday with lots of friends and family in our backyard
- experienced a solar eclipse
- started 'school' two mornings a week
I keep saying it but it's true, each day just gets better and better. William John, thank you for allowing me to be your Mommy; I can't WAIT to see what the next year has in store.
Saturday, August 26, 2017
Hello, anybody there?
Haven't been around these parts in a while. Figured I'd jump back in to touch base and catch y'all up on what's been shakin' over here.
Most of this I hope to turn into posts at some point in time, but I'll give the CliffsNotes version here.
Will turned one. ONE! John and I constantly ask each other if we can believe we have a one year old. Will is so awesome. He's just the neatest kid and it's a joy to watch him grow and learn. I know it's a cliche, but he really does amaze us every day.
We had the most fun first birthday party for him. It was a fantastic mix of friends and family who we love dearly, and who love Will in return. I can't WAIT to share pictures.
The next day, John and I went to a festival at a local winery, while my dad stayed with Will. John and I even went for dinner and drinks in Disney Springs! It was such a nice day for all parties.
Thanks to one of my favorite friends, Annastasia, whom I worked with during my job at Buena Vista Construction Company, we went to the first Mickey's-Not-So-Scary Halloween Party of the year. One of our friends refused to go since they're starting is so early, lol. It was hot and humid and rainy as always, but we still had a great time. John and Will went home a few hours before the party ended, so mama had a few hours to trick or treat with the grown ups. You should see the bag of candy we have (and it's one of those big clear plastic shopping bags they give you in the gift shop, too!)
Speaking of Annastasia: on a whim this last Thursday, she asked if I'd like to go to Disneyland with her this coming Labor Day Weekend. The deal was too good to pass up, so here we are planning our hearts out for her first trip out there. Excited is an understatement. Will is spending the weekend at my mom's and John gets a weekend to himself. Win-win-win.
My friend Laura from Connecticut was down with her husband and two kids, so we got together and went to Gatorland and MNSSHP. She and I taught together for a few years when I lived up there, and we had the most fun. I just love her to death.
Let's see, what else. I started an eight week workout program with my mommy/baby fitness group, Fit4Mom-Celebration. The program is called BodyBack, and it's challenging but really rewarding. It will finish up right before we take a family trip to NYC in mid-October, so the timing is perfect and the motivation is real. I amassed such a beautiful collection of Lilly over the years and while working there, and it's so sad to just see it hanging in my closet because it doesn't fit well anymore. So, that's my goal, to get back into my duds. Superficial, yes, but also practical so I don't have to buy a new wardrobe (Hi, John. See, doesn't that logic make sense?!)
So with that being said, Will goes to a little in-home childcare/'school' a few days a week for an hour and a half while I go to my workout. It's been so cute to pack his breakfast (instead of lunch, since we go first thing in the morning) and drop him off with a few of his pals, and to pick him up after. He's started a routine of carrying his shoes over to us when he wants to go somewhere, and he eagerly meets me at the door when I arrive.
Alright, that's a good stopping point, and pretty much gets you up to speed on everything. Ah, yeah, I need to share about my D23 Great Movie Ride walk-through and breakfast. That was a bittersweet day. Anything else...?
Oh, and I want to write a post about what to bring/wear to Disney when it rains, including baby gear. It's actually not terrible to be there in the rain, since it clears out the park and cools it down somewhat. You just have to be prepared is all.
Ok then. Hope you have a nice weekend. I'll be getting Will's twelve month (one year?!) photo and post up within the next few days.
Thanks for reading!
Saturday, July 22, 2017
I can't believe we only have one more of these rug picture posts left. Can I admit I'm glad it almost over?! Kind of became a chore as the months went on but I'm glad we have these to look back on and remember that point in time.
Will, what a kid. And I know I'm biased because he's MINE but people everywhere love him. Everywhere we go, he makes friends and engages others. And I swear the kid knows how to turn on the charm already; he can flash his sly grin and have people eating right out of his hand.
In this past month, Will has:
- experienced his first National Wear Your Lilly Day
- went to his first Japanese steakhouse. His side eye glance says it all...
- grew TONS of silky blonde hair
- attended a good friend's 1st birthday party
-started taking several cautious steps. He still prefers to crawl and usually plays it pretty safe.
- began eating like a teenage boy. The kid puts away two eggs each morning and hasn't yet met a food he doesn't like.
- donned his swim gear and attended a friend's 2nd birthday party at the splash pad. He loves the water.
- visited My Little Town, an indoor play space, with two of his friends
- celebrated his fist Fourth of July by marching in the Town of Celebration's Independence Day Parade with our FIT4MOM workout friends.
- went to the Magic Kingdom with his Papa and met Mickey. Papa stayed with us for a few nights too.
- climbed on the rocks of Pandora
- spent TONS of fun quality time with his three girl cousins, my nieces. We all hit the parks hard and Will was such a trooper. He just loved having them around the house with us for a few days.
- helped to plan his 1st birthday party. He actually couldn't care less as long as there's food, friends, and family around. *I'm* the one who picked out the theme and is running with it. We had friends create the custom artwork for his invite and I think they turned out SO CUTE!
- got two more teeth on the top and started cutting his two side teeth on the bottom
- enjoys trying to say words and mimics 'cat,' 'shoe,' 'snack,' and 'eat' among other things
Will, you are one super kid who makes the world more fun just by being in it. I'm so proud to be your Mama.
Thanks for reading! XO, Ashley